Saturday, July 18, 2009

YOUTH PREVAILS AT CHASKA VI


(Suzie Finger en route to 2nd place finish at Du the Dam.)

(Chaska, MN - July 18, 2009) Chaska's Nick Madrinich, 19, and St. Louis Park's Suzie Finger, 26, posted the first wins of their respective multisport careers on Saturday at the sixth edition of the Chaska River City Days Triathlon. Madrinich, who appears destined to receive a Junior of the Year nomination at season's-end, relied on his signature fast swim, coupled with a strong run, to keep himself in front of eventual runner-up Chris Frykman of Minneapolis, who turned in the fastest bike split of the morning. River Falls, WI's Jim Felling took 3rd.

For Finger, a softball player-turned-multisportswoman, this was her triathlon debut (she'd raced in three duathlons- -Oakdale, Apple and Du the Dam-- earlier this season) and her cycling (21 mph) and running (6:18 pace) were impressive, as was her overall time (1:17:36) over the 1/3 - 16 - 5K route. Only five women, all veterans with elite credentials, have ever gone faster on this course. And only 22 of the 115 female finishers out-swam her today. Not bad for a girl whose first swim lesson was four weeks ago. Like her co-champ, she too should get a post season award nomination (Rookie of the Year).

Finger is scheduled to race next at the Waseca 1/3 Iron on August 1.

Taking 2nd, as she did in 2008, was St. Paul's Christina Roberts. Third went to Lindsay Osborn of nearby Shakopee. Fifty-year-old Duluthian Robin Tedlund, a 14-time Triathlon Today!/Inside Tri All American placed 4th.

The following Age Group Records were set on this coolish (60 degrees), cloudy morning:

* 19U Boys - Nick Madrinich's 1:10:09 (Old Record: 1:12:10, set in 2006)
* 70+W - Judy Rykken's 2:12:33
* 70+M - Bob Erickson's 2:07:06

UPDATE: Suzie Finger commented via e-mail on her tri debut at Chaska:

""I will remember my first tri for the rest of my life, it was so much fun, I'm hooked. Dan Cohen (SCS Multisport) is the most amazing coach. At my first swimming lesson with him 4 weeks ago I couldn't even swim 25 meters. I went home after our swim sessions and googled terms he used like 'catch' & 'pull' because I was too embarrassed to confess how aquatically clueless I was. Dan is a blessing to my training. Together we turned my doggy paddle into a middle of the pack freestyle in just a few short weeks. It meant the world to me to have him watch me cross the finish line at Chaska, I'll never forget the look on his face when he told me I won. We still have tons of work to do but I look forward to competing in 3 more tris this season and I am hungry to train hard & improve in all three areas."