Wednesday, August 12, 2009

WE'LL MISS YOU, MICHELLE..

(Photo: Michelle Andres and five of the reasons we won't see her at the races any time soon.)

Team Minnesota '08 member Michelle Andres of East Gull Lake, is putting her tri career on hold for a while.

Perhaps a very long while.

On August 10, MTN received this e-mail from Andres, a former candidate for Rookie of the Year and Most Improved:

"I had thought at the beginning of the season that I would race and even register for an IM..., but I decided to take a break for a while. My [5] boys are really getting into traveling sports and I love being there to watch them. Also, I just finished my schooling for elementary education and I student teach this fall.

"My plate is getting too full.

"I could have raced for fun, but that's just not me. When my youngest graduates H.S. I'll only be 42 - heck, we he gets his [drivers) license, I'll be only 40.

"There are so many great triathlon women out there that are 40-and-older - I'll be back then. My boys will only be boys for so long and IM will always be there.

"Don't get me wrong, one of my dreams is still [to win] a slot for Hawaii. Now it will just happen when I'm 42, instead of 32.

"Take care...See you in a few years."



Andres' Tri Highlights:

* ROY Nominee in 2004, MI nominee in 2008

2008: 1st @ Graniteman (Course Record) & Northwoods (Course record)

2nd @ Lakes Country

3rd @ Buffalo Olympic & Brewhouse

4th @ Gear West & Chisago Lakes Half (4:42:46)

21st / 10th amateur in 11:03:32 @ Ironman Wisconsin (4th 30-34)

2006: 1st @ Graniteman, Northwoods & Lakes Country

5th @ Liberty Half

2005: 1st @ Northwoods

2nd @ Graniteman & Lakes Country

2004: 3rd @ Chain of Lakes & Castaway Club

4th @ Graniteman & Lakes Country

5th @ Buffalo Triathlon