Sunday, December 6, 2009

HIS FATHER'S SON...

(Photo: The Bich Family - L-R Grandfather Howard, sons Connor, 9, Nate, 11, dad Brian and mom, Kirsten.)

Former US Master of the Year and four-time Minnesota Triathlete of the Year, Brian Bich is a fan a local singer/songwriter Peter Mayer, especially his song "Holy Now."
The song's message is soothing, simple and prophetic: if you stop searching for miracles you'll clearly see that they are everywhere.

Brian's hero is his father, Howard, a quiet, altruistic man who taught his children to work hard, love life, cherish family and never stop challenging themselves. Like his father, Brian lives these values. He works hard, adores his wife and sons and seeks the challenges that help him grow as a person.

He lives the kind of life that allows him to see the miracles in his midst.

Brian's favorite movie is "The Sound of Music." Listed below "are a few of his favorite things:"
Occupation: College Biology Instructor (Lake Superior College in Duluth)
College? BA in Biology and Education - Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD ; MA in Biology - University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
Favorite food: -home-made grilled salmon wraps with rice, guacamole, and mango salsa

Favorite Movies: The Sound of Music
Favorite actors & actresses: Will Smith
Favorite TV shows: ESPN Sports Center, but I'm too cheep to buy cable so I never get to watch it
Favorite Singers or Bands? The Proclaimers
Favorite Songs? Holy Now by Peter Mayer
Favorite Junk Food: Snickers bar
Your Perfect Meal: I eat so often that my meals tend to blend together, so hear it goes:
first breakfast - 2 slices of peanut butter and honey toast
second breakfast - 3 slices of french toast with maple syrup
lunch - 3-egg potato omelet with salsa, toast, and orange juice
afternoon snack - peanut butter and jelly sandwich
supper - barbecue pork ribs with baked potato and corn-on-the-cob
bedtime snack - big bowl of peanut butter Captain Crunch
Favorite Restaurant: Chipotle (we need one in Duluth, though)
Favorite Alcoholic Beverage: Straight shot of Jack Daniels - just kidding, I don't drink much!
Non-Tri Hobbies: -cross-country skiing
-shoveling and hauling dirt with a wheel-barrow - I love manual labor
Favorite Pro Teams: The Chicago Bulls when Jordan was playing
Heroes? Howard Bich (my father) - He was the father I hope to be to my sons and he taught me how to work hard, love life and never stop challenging myself.
Dream Vacation Destination? European bicycle tour with my family
Winter Training? How do you train in the off-season? If the snow is good I spend most of my training time cross-country skiing, but I also do a little swimming, snowshoe running, and biking on the trainer.

UPDATE: Brian's best friend (and two-time Master of the Year nominee) Rhett Bonner adds these comments:

You really can't say enough good things about Brian. He is kind of a

throwback. If there was ever someone that you could say "Now that's

old school" about, it's him. He is truly a great father, husband and

citizen. I am blessed to be able to call this caring, loyal, and

honorable man my best friend. RB