Friday, December 4, 2009

KEVIN'S COMMENTS...

Kevin O'Connor respects Devon Palmer's decision to obtain a pro license in 2010, but wonders if he (Devon) may be doing so a year too soon.

Kevin had this to say:

"No big surprise but I have an opinion on this but it isn't any more valuable than the next person's opinion.

"I think is is great when we have an amateur that dominates the amateur ranks before they race with pro athletes. When you have the best amateur racing against those pros the following season there is always interest in that former amateur's results.

"I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but I fear that Devon is going to have a tough time competing with those guys. We certainly saw that with David (Thompson) in his first couple seasons. However, that didn't hurt David and I am sure it won't hurt Devon. In fact, it may help speed his improvement.

"I am sure Devon has his reasons for the decision he is going to make and I am certain the most influential reason he will have is what will help him be the fastest athlete he can be. And if that is getting kicked around by all the best in the world, then go for it. If it means honing his skills for yet another year as an amateur, then good for him.

"I would just like to see him race another year as an amateur so he can showcase his talents and skills, but again, that is just my opinion. I know his opinion is worth a lot more than mine. However, I can argue the value of racing against those that are faster than you. That has always raised my performance and fitness." KO