Saturday, March 20, 2010

COOL STUFF...

An excerpt from "Slow, Fat Triathlete"

By Jayne Williams

Oh, my god, she's using the F-word! Is she calling me fat? Is she admitting to being fat herself? Why would she call herself fat? Or slow, for that matter? What is the meaning of this? Relax. Take a deep, cleansing breath. Slow Fat Triathlete is me. I'm a triathlete at a very modest local level. I've been training and racing for two years now. I'm also fairly slow and kind of fat, especially as triathletes go. I used to be a lot slower and a lot fatter, though, and this book is about my journey from injury and obesity to a pretty decent level of fitness using triathlon as my vehicle. It's an invitation to you to come along for the ride, with some tips and encouragement on actually getting started in the sport. My fondest hope is that reading the book will be fun for you, and that you'll close it at the end feeling like you want to go outside and start moving your body around. "Fun" is the f-word that really matters here.

This is not a book about fatties' rights or the politics of obesity or how I'm a victim of the fast-food industry. If you want to read about how overweight folks have a tough time, there are plenty of books out there that can meet your needs. This is not that book. This is also not a book for hard-core lycra-clad tri-junkies who want yet another training book so they can shave 23 seconds off their bike time. If you're one of those people, and you want to read this for fun, that's cool. But don't come back and complain that I didn't make you faster.

This is a book for people like me. Folks who may have struggled with a few extra pounds all their lives..READ